Student Health Insurance in Germany

student health insurance

Studying in Germany is exciting, whether you are enrolling for a short language course or would be staying for a couple of years. While it is the search for a place to live and your visa applications that will keep you occupied when applying to most foreign universities, the topic of insurance is of utmost priority, if your destination is Germany. If you want to study in Germany, you need a health insurance. Without it, it is impossible for you to be enrolled in any university.

Students from countries which have a Social Security Agreement with Germany

Students from certain countries (28 EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) do not need to take a new health insurance policy in Germany, if they already have one in their home country. Germany has social insurance agreements with these countries, so anyone with statutory health insurance there can register the insurance cover with a statutory health insurer at their destination. They must bring proof of health insurance from their home countries. The insurance company would provide them with an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) as proof.

Students with private health insurance from their home country

Get a confirmation in English or German from your private health insurance company, stating that your insurance covers all costs of medical treatment. This document will allow you to choose public health insurance and exempt you from the obligatory German health insurance.

Foreign students under the age of 30

Students under the age of 30 are eligible for public health insurance in Germany. Once they choose a private insurance, they will not be eligible for public health insurance again during the course of study.

Public health insurance is the most cost effective option as students pay just around €78 per month. It is a network of non-profit companies working with the State that makes this national healthcare program possible. You can choose the company with which you would like to be insured.

Foreign students over the age of 30

If you are a student over the age of 30, you are not eligible for public health insurance. You must either opt for a voluntary health insurance with a public health fund or choose a private health insurance. The cost of private health insurance varies depending on the amount of coverage you choose.

Students of language Proficiency courses

Students enrolled in a language proficiency course in a German University do not qualify for public health insurance. You must get insured through a private company. If you decide to join a full course of study in Germany later, and are under the age of 30, you will gain the eligibility for public health insurance.

If you are not eligible for the public health insurance or want to opt for a private insurance company, it is always better to choose a German company as they know the rules and regulations of the country very well. They will provide you the documents to show at university as soon as you reach the country.

Health restitution

It can charge you around €280/semester depending upon the institution. The law of Germany states that all the students should have a health indemnification cover for the course duration or up to the age of 30, i.e you are allowed to access public health indemnification until the age of 30 or until your course is completed, in either case i.e if your course is completed or you are above 30, you have to arrange a private health indemnification. For more help on this you can contact (Add to insurance)