Do You Have These Documents To Apply To German Universities?

Documents while to Apply at a German University

Decided to pursue higher education in Germany? Good choice! The world class German education system is what you need for a bright career. However, to reach there you first have to get through the application and admission procedure. To successfully get through this initial phase you’ll need to submit various documents at the time of application. There are various ways to apply to German universities, for example: via DAAD, uni-assist, the trust for admission to higher education, or directly to the particular university. Given below is a list of all the important documents that you need to keep ready at the time of application to a German university:

What are the most important documents needed to apply to a German university?

Application form

After shortlisting German universities, the first and foremost document that you’ll need is the application form. It could be the university application form or the application form of DAAD or uni-assist (in case you are applying via them). To apply via uni-assist you’ll first have to fill the form online and then get a print of the form which you’ll have to send them along with the rest of your documents in hard copy. Make sure to fill the application form correctly and do not leave any blank spaces because incomplete documents are rejected.

School/University leaving certificates

Proof +of academics can be proved in the form of school/university leaving certificates. If you’re applying for a bachelor’s degree a school leaving certificate will come in handy and in case you wish to pursue master’s degree in Germany you’ll need to provide copies of your university leaving certificate. Keep in mind to check the number of pages of certificates. There shouldn’t be any missing pages from your diplomas.

Language certificates

Language certificates play a very important role in your admission. It is compulsory for every international student in Germany to provide proof of their language proficiency. If you are enrolling for an English taught course you’ll need to prove your proficiency in English with the help of language certificates like TOEFL or IELTS. In case the course is partially or fully taught in German, proof of proficiency in German has to be provided. TestDaF or DSH language exams will help you in doing so.

Letter of Motivation/Essay

Some universities ask you to submit a letter of motivation/essay describing your motivation for applying to a particular course. You would need to add why you chose that specific university or institute for your higher education and include information about any research work that you’ve done and/or internships and work experience. Letter of motivation can be a major determining factor in your admission so see to it that you highlight all your plus points.

Are any other documents required?

Yes, apart from the above mentioned documents, there are various other documents that you might have to submit according to your selected course, university and the country of origin. They are as follows:

  • Resume/CV
  • Letters of recommendation (minimum two)
  • Passport sized photos
  • Copies of your passport
  • GMAT/GRE test certificates (if asked)
  • Medical certificate
  • Insurance letter
  • Documents stating work experience (if applicable)
  • Course specific questionnaire (if asked)
  • Test AS certificate
  • Translations of certificates (if asked)
  • Proof of funds (if asked)